Society U

Important information in advance: The following Blogpost is one I wrote in German before and I wanted to share this one in English on my Yale-Blog. Since I got very positive reviews on that in German I take the risk and try to transfer the same emotions in a different language. It has nothing to do with my time at Yale itself, but for me now it is an great opportunity to share general thoughts of mine in English language.


_____________________________



 I like to call our society the Society U. Society S like "Unfriendly-to-everyone-and-get-respect-for-it-and-everything-you-want". Ok, admittedly, that sounds extremely cynical and maybe it is a bit, but isn't it true somewhere?


If I go to the restaurant and complain about some non-existent problem, I get a drink on the house or a discount. If I am a boss who instills fear in everyone and builds up unnecessary pressure, all work is done in a timely and clean manner. And if I just act like an arrogant person, everyone looks up to me.


Sure, as always, exceptions confirm the rule, but many people are simply wired in such a way that they don't take courteous, nice people seriously or, worse, label them as weak or even stupid. It probably often happens unconsciously and without any evil ulterior motives, but I would love to take a megaphone, stand on a pedestal and shout out to the world that we have to restructure our behavior patterns.


We have to reward nice guests, appreciate cool bosses and take warm people as role models. Just say no to unfair behavior. Just give the good more space and don't slam the door on it. And the most important thing, which is also the origin of this whole "Society U" - just don't be selfish. Not everything is about U.


I hope so much and I know we will be there at some point that we will no longer compare and compete with each other with all our human facets, but rather shake hands, making good out of evil and making the best out of good.

Kommentare

  1. Your sentiments transalte very well indeed - and this should U accepted. (U = Universally)

    AntwortenLöschen

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Beliebte Posts aus diesem Blog

How I came to Yale...

The climb